5 times I have seen my father cry:
1. We were at the zoo. I was six. I said, “Look at the monkeys!” My dad burst into tears.
2. It was the night before my last day as an eighth-grader. I would be going to high school in the fall. My dad wept like a child.
3. My mom thought she won the lottery. She was off by one number. My dad locked himself in the bathroom and we had to turn the TV up real loud to drown out the high-pitched sobbing.
4. My brother came back in the house after being in the backyard for a few minutes. “It’s so hot outside,” he said. It was summer and the temperature was probably 100. My dad looked up from his book and emitted a soft groan. He then jumped from his seat and ran into the bedroom, wailing the whole way.
5. My dad was inspecting a construction site, and I went to visit him. I asked him, jokingly, if anyone had died today. He hugged me tightly and wept as he told me his best friend in the whole world had just been crushed to death by a cement mixer.
Happy Dad Day, Dad. Hopefully reading this post will be your Number Six.